Wednesday 23 October 2013

A Date with a Literary Scholar: Refaat Alareer

- Mr. Refaat: The tallest guy in a plain blue shirt, Our Lovely Dr. Haslina: First standing from the right -




Very much lucky to meet Mr. Refaat Alareer who is a well-rounded person, he wrote numbers of poem about his mother country. He is also a teacher, a father of two kids and a scholar. Mr. Refaat is a Palestinian. He is currently doing his doctorate in Malaysia. One of my favourite poems would be ''O'Live Tree''. Why? Because some says that ''Poem makes the words dance'', and I find this poem is very beautiful, yet the words really danced :) Full of metaphors which is one of the elements interest me to look at to every poem i read. 



O, beat me more.
Hit me with your sticks;
Step on my leaves
Smother my twigs under your boots
Like how you always do.
The beating I bear;
The humiliation, I do not care
But take me not,
Steal me not.
Even if I burn,
Here I belong
And to them I shall return.
***
If you hear my talk,
You may feel my pain
But you belong not here:
You do not even know
How to touch me,
How to gently squeeze me,
How to hug me,
How to wipe off the dust,
When I am ripe,
And when I am not,
When I need water,
And when I do not,
And how to pick me
Like how they always do.
***
Your smell and heavy boots
And the metal on your backs
And your metal bars!
For God’s sakes who on earth olives picks
With metal bars for sticks?
***
But I ramble again.
Because you won’t understand
And if you understood me,
You would not, in the first place,
Be here.
***
You come and go.
I see you once or twice a year
With either flames or sticks
And I weep for the rest of the year.
But one day
My twigs shall grow,
The oil shall flow,
My people shall glow,
And you, you will go.
- Refaat Alareer






What's inside Mr. Refaat Alareer poems...?

  • Dialogue
  • Performance/Drama
  • Palestine

Mr. Refaat Alareer poems:

  1. If I Must Die
  2. Mustafa's Only Care
  3. Land Day poem 'O, Earth'
  4. Over The Wall
  5. And Gaza lives on..
  6. Mom
  7. When I Stoop
  8. O'Live Tree
  9. I am You
  10. Freshly Baked Souls


Famous Palestinian writers:

  • Mahmoud Darwish
  • Tamim Bargouti
  • Rafeef Ziadah
  • Susan Abulhawa
  • Remi Kanazi



No comments:

Post a Comment